I hope you’ll agree with me when i say: Life is not possible today without using the top rated electric tankless water heaters. Or is it?
Tankless hot water heaters are a very practical system for getting a constant supply of hot water. They don’t work by heating a previously stored water at a time, but heat constantly the water while it’s flowing.
In this sense, there’re some general advantages they can offer in front of regular hot water tank such as the constant flow of hot water, space saving, best duration on long-term and no need for gas installation at all. If all you need is a heater for your kitchen then get an under sink tankless water heater.
The best part is that they work with electricity, so all you have to do is connect them to your regular power outlet. Check out the voltage requirements of the tank and it will work without further installation. On the other hand, for those on the “go green” wage, you can perform an external installation for using them with external solar panels.
Of course, different models offer distinct features and advantages, and you may be wondering which the best models available in the market are today. If you’re looking for the perfect water heater, stay around and read our top 10 best electric tankless water heaters reviews for 2019.
10 Best Electric Tankless Water Heater Reviews
|Water Heater||Voltage||Temp. Range||Price|
|Stiebel Eltron Mini 2-1||120V||86°F - 122°F|
|IHEAT S-12||240V||Min of 67°F|
|Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus(Editors Choice)||220A||86°F - 140°F|
|EcoSmart ECO 27(Editors Choice)||240V||80°F - 140°F|
|Marey ECO110||220V||Min of 70°F|
|Bosch Tronic||208-240V||90°F - 128°F|
|Stiebel Eltron DHC E12||240V||86°F - 125°F|
|Rheem RTE 13||240V||80°F - 160°F|
|Titan SCR2 N120||220V||Min of 65°F|
1. Stiebel Eltron Mini 2-1 Tankless Electric Water Heater
Mini heater models are ideal for apartments or small houses. This specific model is really powerful, energy efficient and can provide endless hot water for a bath or kitchen sink and even a small shower. It includes two points-of-use so you can install two water intakes but it’s recommendable that you only use one to achieve the best performance of the heater.
Features, installation, and performance…
Even though it is really powerful and can raise the water temperature level up to 46° if you’re looking for too hot water, i.e 100° water, you’ll need to check on the temperature the water currently flows on your sink.
On the other hand, this model is really easy to install and you’ll need no plumber if you know a bit about tankless water heater installation but if you don’t, probably any regular plumber could do the job for you. After the installation is done, you’ll have hot water in a few seconds.
- It includes a micro-processing technology that senses the temperature of water and according to that heats or stops so your water will always have the right temperature without overheating the heater.
- Temperature fluctuations are prevented by the system so you won’t suddenly get cold water flowing while you’re washing your hands or taking a shower; the temperature of the water is continuous.
- Small and well-designed this unit coated on steel can be installed anywhere.
- Some electric panels may need to be expanded or upgraded to support the unit.
- This device won’t work too well for more than one point-of-use.
- It won’t take the water temperature up to 100° unless the flow is already over 50° (the heater raises the water temperature up to 46°)
2. IHEAT S-12 Electric Hot Water Heater – (Best for Warm Climate Areas)
This is the best electric tankless water heater for beach or field houses or any environment where temperatures are a bit higher and the air might be corrosive. The incredible resistance of this water heater is due to its fully stainless steel coat that protects from salty air and corrosion. On the other hand, this heater can only raise the water up to 23° and that’s why it’s mostly recommended for a warm climate.
Features, performance, and installation…
The reason why this on demand hot water heater is one of the best is that it can be used with more than one point-of-use. Actually, for beach weather, you can connect up to 2 showers and 1 sink simultaneously. Of course, the temperature will fluctuate according to the number of hot water distributed at a time so, if you use the three connections at once, the water probably will be a bit less hot than if you only use one.
On the other hand, the water temperature can fluctuate noticeably when using it for a long time, so if you’re going to take a full shower instead of a quick one, you might notice that the performance is regular as it may get several periods of cold water and take a few seconds to raise the temperature again.
One good feature that also places it on top the previous model is that it has a display unit for selecting the heating temperature so you can adequate it to your needs (no one wants to burn their hands while washing the dishes). It needs a 60amp breaker for installation and 220V power supply.
- Digital display in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Power modulation through mini-processor regulates the temperature of the water
- The touchpad for the digital display is waterproof.
- Small and compact for fitting any space.
- It won’t work with a 110V power intake.
- If the climate is cold, it will only warm the water but never get it hot.
- It has the possibility of connecting up to three take ins but it will dramatically affect its performance.
3. Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus – (Best Whole House Electric Water Heater)
Once again we find a Stiebel Eltron model in this tankless water heater review; but this time we really have one of the best whole house electric tankless water heaters, with its capacity for multiple points of use and no distance issue when it comes to receiving hot water.
Features, performance, and installation
All Stiebel Eltron tankless heaters but especially the Tempra have a great capacity for heating the water in a matter of seconds and keeping the temperature quite constant for as long as you need, with no cold spots, even when several points are at use.
The best part is that it is energy efficient, you’ll save a lot of money as the Tempra only uses home energy when you need the hot water; at the moment and until you don’t need it anymore. This system can save up to 20-30% of electricity bills and thanks to the mentioned instant system, you also save in water loss.
A friend of mine confirmed he was saving energy of over $450 of electric bills when he switched to Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus and reduced his monthly payments. It has a 7 years leakage warranty and so you are safe for the next 7 years. At 110F degrees it can run 2 showers and 3 faucets full blast with water pretty hot.
Still on features
Stiebel Eltron actually invented this kind of heaters, they were the first ones to create a tankless heater and still now they’re pioneers in the industry, even if some other brands have specific models that can outstand them, in general conditions the Stiebel Eltron is the s on the market, that’s why there’re three of them in this tankless water heater review. The Tempra series has been fully redesigned and it’s more potent than ever, with a solution to every need (the Tempra 24 is the intermedium option, you can get 36 model which is ideal for bigger houses in colder states)
It has a tempra advanced flow control which is an exclusive feature seen I only stiebel eltron. This helps to slightly reduce the flow rate of water to keep up with the demand and still maintains the correct water temperature. With this feature there won’t be any cold shower surprises. Your showers will always be hot no matter how long it takes you to finish. It can support over 6 heating elements such as showers, sinks, washing machines and dishwashers.
- Constant and really hot water for the whole family all day and in the instant moment you need it
- One of the highest temperatures available with up to 60° C and can be regulated from 30°.
- Whole house tankless heater can connect up to three bathrooms or two bathrooms and the kitchen.
- 7 years warranty for leakage and 3 years lifespan for parts at a low price tag.
- The installation requires 2 60amp switches and needs to be done by a professional, which can cost a bit.
- The equipment itself costs more than previous models.
4. Eccotemp L10 Portable Tankless Water Heater – (Best for road trips and camping)
Thanks to its included sprayer, you can even use this tank as an external portable shower that will allow up to 20 minutes of continued use. This means you can use for bathing the dog, giving the kids a quick shower after a beach or pool day, washing the car, even watering the garden. All you have to do is turn on the heater and the two ignite batteries will start working and heating water almost instantly. The good news is that the batteries only work when the water is flowing so they actually save a lot of energy for a larger useful lifetime.
Features, performance, and installation
As the heater works with batteries you won’t need to install it to any electric panel so it’s really easy to use; just connect it to the water point and you’ll have endless flow rate of hot water for 20 constant minutes. As it’s designed for outdoor use, the temperature of the water must be high to actually get really hot water, but if you live in a warm state where natural water is above 75°F you will really enjoy hot showers, and even would have to regulate the temperature for avoiding water overheat. For this purpose, it includes to manual knobs that allow you to regulate degree by degree the flow of water in the hot water tap and even while you take a shower.
- The device shuts down itself after 20 minutes of continued use.
- The battery operated system eliminates electric installations and allows the heater to travel or be used outdoors.
- It includes the shower head or sprayer installations as well as it includes the shower hose adapter.
- It saves a lot of money on energy as it won’t use electrical connection
- Water heating is not too high so it would need the natural water flows at least at 75°F
- Windy conditions can affect its performance.
- Not suitable for a large home demand or extended continuous use (remember it will shut down itself after 20 minutes of use)
5. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater – (Best Value For The Money)
Well this is our editors choice electric tankless hot water heater, the EcoSmart ECO 27. Get ready to save a lot on energy bills with this masterpiece. The ecologic solution for really hot water comes in the form of the EcoSmart ECO. A tankless water heater that can provide hot water even in cold climates. It still saves up to 50% in energy bills which almost doubles the energy saving features on all the previous models we’ve seen.
By regulating the energy consumption according to the needs, you can obtain instantaneous hot water for a single sink or for the whole house, even a big hot tube can be filled with this heater and you’ll still be saving money.
Features, performance, and heater installation
With its rotation knob, you can adjust the temperature degree by degree from 80°F to 140°F and it will determine the amount of energy needed. This will avoid overusing electricity and providing an endless flow of hot water. The only inconvenience one could find in this model is that it might take a bit for the hot water to start flowing as the heater regulates the energy but once it gets hot, it won’t have any cold spots even when using several points simultaneously.
One good feature is that all the parts on this tank are easily replaceable which means a larger use life as you won’t have to replace the whole heater in case one of the important parts gets damaged. Also, it’s made out of stainless steel and copper that guarantee a durable structure with a compact design that can be placed anywhere for a comfortable installation. It is energy efficient.
It is very safe for children due to its high internal jumpers which limits its heat output to a temperature of 1050F. This regulator will make sure it does not heat your water higher than that. It requires just a 240V electric service to run perfectly. Ecosmart eco 27 is Ecosmarts most powerful tankless hot water heater.
- The most ecologic option available saves up to 50% energy at such price tag.
- Hot water for the whole house even when using several points simultaneously.
- Unlimited time of uninterrupted hot water once it starts flowing.
- Parts are easily changeable so the duration of the device is better.
- It includes a lifetime warranty which is unique in the market.
- It can raise the water temperature up to 140°F
- Hard to install, it will require a professional that installs 220amp service and 3 40dp switches.
- It might take a few seconds before the hot water actually flows.
6. Marey ECO110 Tankless Electric Water Heater – (Best For Southern or Beach States)
Even though this electric tanker water heater review is about hot water, but there’re also a lot of other features to take into consideration when selecting the best electric water heater. In this case, the Marey ECO is actually designed for even warmer weathers such as in the southern states or beach states. This is because it’s made out of German Technology and stainless steel that separates the heating element from the water canal, avoiding the water to touch the heater.
Features, performance, and heater installation
The device can raise the water temperature up to 21°C which is good for southern, hotter states where you can install up to two points of use such as a shower and a sink. But, on the other hand, if you want this device for colder weathers you might have to limit the water to one point of use.
To control the water temperature, the Marey ECO includes an LCD screen with digital controls. You can determine the exact temperature of your water and therefore can save heating costs as well. With this screen, you can adjust everything you need about the heater in an easy way.
- It’s the only model with anti-corrosive elements that avoid hard water.
- With the combination of that system and the German technology, this model offers one of the cleanest waters available.
- In hot weathers, it can accommodate up to points of use and work well simultaneously.
- The plumbing is very easy as the water canal only has two entries; hot water enters one and hot water comes out from the other.
- Must be installed maximum 40 feet away from the point of use.
- Doesn’t work for large homes
- If the water is not above 21° it might only work for one point of use, or not work at all.
7. Bosch Tronic Electric Tankless Water Heater – (Best For Domestic Use)
In a way superior range, we find the Bosch Tronic, is one of the best electric waters heater available. It’s powerful enough to work not only for domestic use but can also serve as a small commercial electric tankless hot water heater, i.e washing hands sink from a small restaurant or office.
Features, performance, and heater installation
Performance is the main feature on this model as it really meets the expectations; the temperature can be raised up to 55° with this tankless water heater so you can get it to 100° in regular sinks. This makes the unit ideal even for disinfection sinks in small clinics or food establishments.
On the other hand, the Bosch Tronic offers a 97% of efficiency with an enhanced resistant scale for a long hot water supply without overheating. This makes it quite energy efficient.
But the fact that you will be saving energy and have almost no loss when on standby, while the built-in flow sensors assure a stable flow of really hot water for a limitless amount of time without heating.
The package includes 2 anchors for installing which can be placed almost anywhere as the compact design fits any small space without hindering or being too obvious.
- Endless on demand hot water.
- Stable flow without “cold” periods.
- Water heats in a matter of seconds.
- You can raise the water temperature up to 55° (it’s possible to achieve 100° according to the initial temperature of the intake)
- Installation can be a bit complicated and need the help of an expert.
- The top quality performance on this tankless water heater depends on it being connected to ONE major application.
8. Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 Electric Tankless Water Heater
Repeating on this list of best electric tankless water heaters is the Stiebel Eltron with its DHC-E12. Our first model that can actually be a whole house electric tankless water heater. It allows you connect several points of use at a time, even though you can’t use the shower at the same time as another point. Single faucet at a time.
Features, performance, and heater installation
With a rotator knob for setting the temperature, the performance on this heater is amazing. It can instantly heat water in range among 30°C and 55°C and keep the temperature constant as long as you want to use it. Though you can use several sinks at a time, if you’re going to take a shower you shouldn’t use any of the other points of use as it will quickly get the shower water cold. But with less pressure and water points such as sinks, there should be no problem.
The size is fairly compact so it can be concealed in closets or bathrooms and still will occupy half the space of regular tank heater. For the installation, you’ll need a 60 amp switch and the same as the other models, you’ll need a professional to install it if you know nothing about electricity, and plumber would also need a professional. Also, you’ll need a 10 AWG wire.
- Really hot water that can even surpass 100° depending on the temperature on the source.
- The water flows instantly and saves energy as the power works only when needed.
- Whole house electric tankless water heater (not-too-big houses)
- Three years warranty.
- Stiebel Eltron is a trustable brand that regularly offers top quality products; it’s claimed by Amazon users.
- Showers can only be used alone; otherwise, the water will slowly get cold, even if it’s only a simultaneous sink.
- You may need to spend a bit for installation and plumber.
- For indoor use only.
9. Rheem RTE 13 Electric Tankless Water Heater – Best selling water heater
Another really popular brand among water heaters is the Rheem RTE which can provide hot water for a small home in a constant flow even when the water flow per minute is not so strong. This is one of the most remarkable features on this heater, as most models need certain pressure to actually be able to heat water.
On the other hand, it is designed for warmer climates so if the groundwater on your state is lower than 70°F this might not be the tank for you unless you’re planning on using it for a single point of use.
Features, performance, and heater installation
It comes with a control panel where you can easily control the temperature. With this feature you can put it in standby mode without the need of “warming time” before it starts delivering hot water. Actually, the heater provides constant and instant hot water according to your needs. It doesn’t use electricity when not heating so it will save a lot of money on electricity bills.
- Water is clean and still hot enough for up to three showers when natural water temperature is at least 70°F.
- One of the best relations in temperature rising and clean water.
- IT works instantly and stops working when the water flow stops so it saves a lot of energy.
- The brand counts with a high reliability and a 10 years warranty for this equipment.
- Installation can be done by anybody with a minimum knowledge of electricity
- The temperature of the ground must be at least 70°F to actually work
- It only can be connected to one point of use, it ’s better for a single or couple apartment.
- Must replace the water connections with ½ in copper pipes.
10. Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater
A whole house electric tankless heater that is so durable. You won’t worry about buying a new one for about a decade and you’ll still have hot water just like the first year. This is definitely a high-quality model, especially when it comes to structure. Even though all these qualities, the truth is that this water heater was built for hotter climates and will really work for up to three whole bathrooms if water comes out at a 65° temperature, but would fail to heat the water fine in colder states.
If you’re from a northern state and still want to purchase this durable model, go ahead. You could use it for one or two bathrooms instead of three and it would work fine. It includes an electronic panel that allows you to control the temperature with two easy buttons.
Features, performance and heater installation
- Durability is its top benefit.
- Easy installation and use without experience.
- A safety system that prevents accidents.
- Water keeps a constant temperature and gets hot instantly.
- Works for up to three whole bathrooms or two bathrooms and the kitchen.
- Ideal for climates with a temperature of 21°C
- The heating power is not too high.
- Sometimes they come with manufacturing defects.
Even though it seems like acquiring an electric tankless water heater is quite easy, the truth is that there are a lot of things to consider. It’s true that some models are definitely superior to others and will work perfectly in any circumstances. This models are also commonly more expensive than specific models. This means that, unless you have plenty of money to invest without a care, you won’t have to spend much time looking for the right one. If your budget is more limited and you need to fulfill specific needs. It is recommendable that you check the features on each model before actually purchasing one.
Many times, people buy heaters that are out of their conditions range and still wonder why it wouldn’t work; it’s necessary that you think about the original temperature of the water in your state and the general climate. Also take into consideration the amount of point of use you want to connect. This includes whether they will be used simultaneously or not. Another important thing to keep in mind is for how long you plan on using the hot water. If the heater has an automatic shutdown it might be uncomfortable for i.e long showers.
On the other hand, electric installation is also important. In most cases, this kind of heaters need a specific power to actually work, even when by regulating it, they save money in energy expenses. In this matter, it’s also common that people complain about the poor performance of the heater. They didn’t even bother to hire a professional for the electric installation, being that the actual cause of the malfunctions. That’s why it’s recommendable to invest in a professional service unless you have real knowledge on electricity; yes, it might mean a heavy investment at the beginning but it will grant the needed service for longer.
With a proper installation, the electric tankless hot water heaters can hold up for more than 10 years without fail. This will definitely pay the installation bill. In any case, selecting the right water heater for your home is an important task. This shouldn’t be taken lightly as it can result in dissatisfaction or in worst case scenario. Someone could get burnt due to overheating water (this is rare but may happen with the strongest heaters).
You might as well see the